- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts(optional)
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Additional granulated sugar
2. Stir together flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if desired.
3. Stir whipping cream into flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are moistened.
4. Turn mixture out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently until soft dough forms (about 2 minutes). Divide dough into three equal balls. One ball at a time, flatten into 7-inch circle; cut into 8 triangles. Transfer triangles to prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar, if desired. 24 scones.
I had never made scones before so this was a little different for me. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty this is a good treat. It is sweet without being overpowering and has a lightness that reminds me of shortbread cookies. I deviated from the recipe because I used butterscotch chips. I didn't have any chocolate chips on hand. They were decadent. I think any flavor of chips would work in this recipe and still be wonderful.